Thursday, September 9, 2010

Free Motion Quilting


I finally got some time yesterday to start my free motion quilt along.  It's really hard for me to pick out fabric to practice on, but I finally decided on a piece I thought I could spare from my stash.  I decided these will be cat quilts, so it isn't really wasting my precious fabric.  I'm also choosing fabric I bought that probably isn't the best quality.  


I did some lines, zig zags and loops.  My tension was fine.  I really just need to practice, practice and practice.


I spent some time going through my books and pulling out the machine quilting ones.  I really like this  book the best of them all.

I did find the Kathy Sandbach book I have too.   And of course, I found some other ones too.  I'm great at buying and reading books.  I think it's one way of procrastinating--I'm good at that too.   This free motion along is going to help.  I had fun yesterday and that's what I need to do--stop putting it off and jump into it and "have fun" with it.



I used the Supreme Slider yesterday.  I bought this from Leah Day when she had it on sale.  ( I love her blog.)  I really liked how it worked.  I have done free motion on  my smaller quilts, placemats and table runners.  I think this is really going to help.  The practice piece really slide through so easily.  I don't think my arms will get so tired on a bigger quilt.


It is a sheet of plastic that lays on your machine bed.  It sticks on there.  It's very slippery and the material doesn't drag at all as you move it across.  I really love my stitch regulator on my Bernina.   

I'm looking forward to doing the work to finally start being a free motion quilter. I have a pinwheel quilt and a jelly roll quilt that will need to be quilted. I'm actually getting excited about that instead of nervous. 

It was a rainy day today.  It only rained .40, but took all day to do it.  DH was in the house, so I didn't get any sewing done.  It was a lazy rainy day. He doesn't get those very often, so we took advantage of it.  There were things that could have been done, but sometime you need a mental health day.   I baked some zucchini bread.  We spent some time on the internet looking at companies that build buildings.   DH is dreaming of a new shop.  He wanted to check out some different sites and plans. 

It's raining out again.   The sunflowers have needed rain--I hope it's not too late to make a difference.   It has been cold at night, but not freezing yet.  I hope it holds off for a while, so I can keep picking tomatoes and cucumbers.  They are such a treat. 

 It's getting late and I'm off to bed..............................

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet! I'm a fellow FMQA and a fan of Leah Day, too! Your stitches look great and thanks for sharing your favorite machine quilting books with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your machine quilting looks good. I see you own my dream machine (big sigh):)I am working along with the quilt along too, same story - I have been kind of attempting it, but this will make me focus. Thank you for sharing your book collection. I was very touched by the Kathy Sandbach story and was glad Christina shared it. Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Janet. I love your insights on FMQ and the books. I'm going to have to check these out! Glad to hear your like the slider. I've not yet tried it, but interested in checking it out. And I respect your opinion, very much! Thanks!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stitching looks good. I think you're right about the books - I'd never thought about it before, but they are a great way of putting off doing something while you "research" it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilting looks great! Isn't it fun? I've been putting it off for over a year now and I'm so glad I finally just gave in and tried it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're already on the way to calling yourself a FMQ, it looks great and the stitch length and tension is perfect. I'd forgotton I had that feather book, I must hunt it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for practicing. Free motion quilting has always intimidated me, especially the bigger quilts. Thanks for sharing the books you like. I may have to try it again, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking good Janet. My dh is home on vacation this week and next, so I just haven't had time to practice my free motion quilting. As usual I'll be a couple of weeks behind. LOL Hope you enjoy this rainy day. Winona

    ReplyDelete
  9. FMQ has always been a desire of mine. I just might take the leap soon. I will check into the books you listed. I visited your blog for the first time today and have become a follower! Lucky you to have rain - something we haven't had here in over three months.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your machine quilting is really good! Thank you for your review of the supreme slider. I have to check it out!

    Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete