Monday, June 14, 2010

Good Rainy Weekend

It was a cool rainy week-end.  It's not often that we wear jackets to work cattle in June.  Usually by now the days are in the 80's and it's dry and dusty.  We worked the cattle starting early on Saturday morning.  This was the day all our helpers could come and rain was in the forecast for the next 3 days.  We have the pairs split into two bunches.  We brought the first bunch in and worked them and moved them back to their pasture.  The crew stopped  to eat a roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy dinner (lunch to some of you).  After dinner we got the next bunch in and finished up about 4:30 pm.  It was cool out, but hard work in the extra wet and mud.



The llamas went first.  They got poured for flies and mosquitoes.  We put them in the pasture with the cows that are still expecting a calf and the ones that lost their baby or aren't having a calf this year.


The crew sorted the calves from the cows. The calves go through a small chute and the cows will go through the big chute. Michelle was home to help.  She needed to borrow her dad's slicker pants.  The orange plastic panel is so the calves can't see out and will go down the small passage way to the chute.


Michelle and nephew, the groom have to persuade the calves to take their turn.  It involves some pushing and wrestling and getting kicked.
DH, BIL and nephew catch the calf in the chute and give it shots and pour it.
Calves are done, now for the cows.  As you can see all the work DH did last week on the pens didn't do much good after the 1.5 inches of rain we got on Friday night.  It did stop raining about 8:00 am Saturday morning, so the crew didn't have to work in the rain, just the mud.


The cows take their turn.  Only the first cow is caught in the chute and they can do 8 to 10 at a time.
Then we let the cows and calves mix again and move them back to pasture.  It's nice to have this big job done.  Everything went pretty well and no one or animal got injured.  I always pray for safety for them all.  And yes I took my turn after dinner helping too. 

It was nice to relax on Sunday.  Michelle stayed for dinner and we took naps afterward.  It rained again.

I got my Jelly Roll Sampler block stitched up, so I don't get behind.  I'm still loving the "Blush" fabric.
I've been printing off the directions for all my BOM's.  I'm missing those long winter evenings that I could do all that hand work.  I spend more time mowing now.



I found out today that my mini swap quilt will be late.  My partner has been ill.  I hope she will take her time getting better and not worry about finishing the quilt up.  I'll still be here when she's done.  I haven't received any of my prizes in the mail yet.  I can still anticipate on the drive to the mailbox for a surprise.  
Hugs to you all.........

7 comments:

  1. This is my first visit to your blog and I will be back. It is so interesting to see how life on the cattle ranch (farm?) goes. I know it is very hard work, but I think I would enjoy farm life - maybe for a week or two anyway. We have sunflower fields in SC too, and I saw my first one this year. They were just beautiful. We drove by around noon and all the flowers were tall and shining in the sun, and then late that afternoon they had bowed their heads as the sun went down. It was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What day of work you had! Your life must be hard but rewarding. I love to see your pictures and read about your daily life stories. As I have already said your world is totally away from mine and I really like to follow it. Thank you for sharing and good week. Hugs. Eli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the pics of the cows.... my maternal grandparents had a small farm in MN... by the time I was hanging around they only had about a dozen milk cows and some chickens. But they did have sheep and horses when they first started out.

    I still get nostalgic when I smell manure being spread in the fields in the spring :)

    LOVE your blush blocks! I have some of that fabric too, love it!

    SHeila

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your block! and the cattle pictures. I grew up on a cattle ranch and the pictures bring back a lot of good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the photos and showing me what is involed in having cattle. What a lot of hard work.
    Nice to have Michele home and still have time to relax together.
    Love your block with the splash of pink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a look into ranch life. Looks like hard work but satisfying. When you say pouring do you mean like dip or do you literally pour (antibiotics?)stuff into the animals mouth?
    Cute blocks like the blush too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss it! I grew up on a ranch but married the city. It's OK, but not the same. Food tastes so good after a day of work.

    ReplyDelete