"It doesn't matter who my father was;
it matters who I remember he was."
~~By Anne Sexton (1928-1974) U.S. poet.~~
Happy Father's Day to my Dad
My Dad was a rancher and a farmer. He married a widow with 2 young children at the age of 39. I never knew those children weren't my "real" sister and brother until much later in life, when one of our "favorite aunts" informed me. They were and always will be my older sister and brother. Just as my younger sister and brother are. Real, half, whatever--some people just don't get it. My Dad did. He was a very strict man with a very soft heart that grew softer with time. He always had a special way with animals and children. He worked hard and he expected his children to all work hard too. He tolerated no "funny business".
We had fun time too. Once in a while he would come in and tell Mom to pack a lunch. We would go dig worms. The ones by the cattle shed were the biggest. We were like little birds grabbing the plumpest ones. The bamboo poles went in the trunk and off we would go. Bullheads, sunfish and perch were the main fish we caught in a small pond or lake nearby. I remember how proud I was when I could bait my own hook like my Dad had taught me. The sandwiches Mom made tasted the best sitting there by the water. We didn't get to go often, but when we did--it was wonderful.
I love you Dad and I miss you! Hugs to Heaven from your little girl.



What a beautiful post Janet. Brought a tear to my eye.
ReplyDeleteMy DH and I married nearly 40yrs ago and I had a little girl who is as much apart of him as is our youngest daughter. So I understand how you
dear Dad felt.
Thank you for showing your love for your dad in each word you wrote and for sharing them with your friends. I also have tears in my eyes from reading your tribute!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely way to remember your dad. He has that same smile and look in his eyes all his life on those pics.
ReplyDeleteMy dad is 94 and still with us. He was/is a farmer too, and had that same philosophy - no funny business. *S* Tough as we were growing up, but mellowed later on; and has the best sense of humor.
You can tell - I'm really moved by your post.
That's an absolutely lovely tribute to your dad, Janet. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteXOXO,
Cyndi
Ah Janet, you brought tears to my eyes. Lovely tribute to your dad. My dad has been gone for 13 1/2 years. I still miss him terribly. Great post. Winona
ReplyDeleteA wonderful tribute to someone who sounds wonderful.
ReplyDeleteI hope your reunion was fun?