It's been a busy week here. I'm sorry I haven't been good about answering comments. Just not enough time. I love to hear from you. Sometimes when I comment I don't need a response, I just want to comment. Is that how you feel? What is good blog etiquette about replying to comments? Maybe some of you that have been at this a long time will comment and let me know. I would never want someone to feel bad that I didn't respond. I love my blog friends and checking on your blogs makes me feel like we talked to each other that day.
We have been fixing fence so we can move all the cattle to summer pastures. Fixing fence is an everyday project. We fix the fences of the pastures the cows are already in and fix the ones that had winter snow damage. You'll have to click to enlarge the photo and see all the steel fence posts leaning over. The cows are reaching as far as they can to get to that luscious tall grass on the other side. The barb wire doesn't really phase them either. In this case the grass is really better over there--taller anyway.
We use steel posts mostly, because the staples that are nailed into wooden posts come out with enough pressure. This post needs to have the wire reattached. We need to work the cattle by giving them shots and pouring them for worms and flies. Then they will all be moved to the larger pastures of tall grass for the summer. We worked some of cows and calves yesterday. We were a man short so I had to work and didn't get to take any pictures. The heifers had been in the lot since December. We branded them. They will be our new cows for next year. We don't brand the calves. They have ear tags only. I'm sure the heifers think they are in grassy heaven now. It was good to see them get out and have some space. This next week we will do the big herd and I will try to take some pictures for you.
The Llamas went to grass on Wednesday. We are still deciding on names. Big decisions! lol They seem much happier out in the pasture. They keep to themselves. I'm not sure the cows know what to think of them.
I did get my Jelly Roll Sampler block done this week. I have a really hard time making flying geese with this method. I struggle with the sewing corner to corner concept. I usually use Eleanor Burns' method of making flying geese. I make them a little bigger and trim. I think I need to call and make an eye appointment--for real. I'm not seeing as well as I should. The block did turn out pretty well. Don't look at the flying geese too close, tho.
I added a couple of "Bouquet" blocks to flickr that I finished stitching and I finished the Under The Sea block for May.
These little characters have been fun to stitch and I like the coloring aspect that adds to them.
I won at Spring Fever BINGO!! My first win ever at Bingo! It's been fun to check the sight and see what words were picked for the day. I've gotten 8 words so far. I won a box of Petit Fours in Thursday's drawing. I see it has a pincushion pattern included, so that might be fun to make. What do you put inside your pincushions? I've never made one, but want to.
I'm trying to catch up on cleaning and laundry today. I'm kind of stiff and sore from yesterday. I think a nap might be in order today too--just for my mental health. I still haven't planted my garden spot. There just hasn't been time. Gotta run. Talk to you later............ Hugs!





I have to say that unless I post a question, I don't expect an answer.
ReplyDeleteThank you for asking the question. I have wondered the same thing. I am very interested in the answers you receive. Sometimes a Sunday afternoon nap is essential!
ReplyDeleteI myself don't feel that every comment needs an answer. I love making a spontaneous comment and love receiving them. I don't think many of the bloggers are keeping score of who returns comments each time one is given. Some have so many followers and so many comments, it would be very time consuming to acknowledge all of the comments made. If a questions is asked and answered, then that probably rates a response. This blogging is such fun and we should be relaxed and enjoy it. I am enjoying your writing about your life there in SD and love your pictures. Your quilt projects are coming along great, too. Don't work tooooo hard!! Carol
ReplyDeleteYour blocks all look great! :0)
ReplyDeleteI use crushed walnut shells for my pin cushions. I used to use sterilized play sand for the weight; but, I think it is not so good for your pins and needles. Tha walnut shells have a natural oil. BTW, your flying geese turned out great.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was growing up on a cattle farm, I always loved the chance to be the "extra guy" when there was work to do outside. It was a great diversion for me then, but now I'd feel it was interrupting what I needed to be doing-- work around the house. You're a team player, Janet -- helping where you're needed.
ReplyDeleteGet ye to the eye doctor! I ignored a problem, delayed going to the eye doc, and now I've battled problems in one eye for over 2 years. No guarantee I could have prevented my problem if I'd gone in earlier, but you can't be too careful with your eyes, whether it's pain or vision difficulties.
Congrat's on that Bingo win!
I have no idea if there's specific blog etiquette about replying to comments. I try to, even if just a couple words, but I agree with what others have written. Unless there's a question, I don't think a reply is necessary.
I think just go with your gut feeling. If you feel it needs a reply back then you should and if you don't think there is a need then you shouldn't. I don't think you would hurt anyone's feelings. :)
ReplyDeleteHi Janet, I'm not sure of blog etiquette either. I try to reply to all my comments, just to acknowledge my appreciation of their visit but if I leave a comment, I don't expect a reply.
ReplyDeleteYou lead a very busy life being a cattle farmer!
Hi Janet,You are such a busy lady so reply when you can. I love to read your blog and know what you have done in your day.
ReplyDeleteThe Ilamas look so much happier now than when they first arrived.
Your blocks look great and ythe flying geese are fine.I just put toy fill in my pincushions. Never herad of walnut shells here in Aussie.
Yes I see you had a win. How nice.I have 8 words as well.
I cows are a lot cheeper to feed than yours. Ilamas seem to have some lovely green grass to eat. I was going to go in the bingo and forgot to maybe next time.
ReplyDeleteI like to get comments but I truly don't expect one every time I post. People are busy and blogging is suppose to be fun, so stressing about answering every single comment kinda defeats the purpose.
ReplyDeleteCongrats at bingo! Can't wait to read more from you.
ReplyDeletewww.aqsquiltnews.blogspot.com
You're a farmer- sure how would you have time to write replies? Personally I visit to see what's happening on the farm and love hearing about it...d'you think the llamas speak Spanish and need an Interpreter to help them mix with the cows?
ReplyDeleteYou sure are busy... and your flying geese are a lot more accurate than mine- I call mine 'flyi gee' because I lose so many corners!
Good Morning, Janet and Readers :-)
ReplyDeleteI do not always expect a comment or a follow-up comment. I write when I have time and the muse strikes. I have no idea what proper blog etiquette might be. So please excuse my difficiencies in such. I do figure I should comment once in a while if I read a blog or otherwise I am a "lurker" which I figure is just plain tacky.
Your post here is another one of those that opens up a whole new world for me, the city dweller from the east coast. My mother's family was from New Hampshire and they were farmers so I do have some understandng about farm animals who are intended to become food being treated with caring and dignity but that they are not pets. You do, however, certainly give insight into the process of how beef gets onto my supermarket shelves.
Mostly your pictures and posts about your ranch make me want to get in our SUV, pour gas into the tank, and drive west and see all those parts of our vast country that are still a mystery to me. Not happening today. Maybe someday when we are both retired. :-)
I love your quilt blocks!
I have had a very bad cold for two weeks and have done very little sewing ... blogging ... or much of anything ... I need to catch up.
Have a wonderful day! ... :-) Pat