Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Finches are Back


 
 It was a beautiful day earlier, but has now clouded up.  It is nice and warm too.  I am thinking "garden" very soon.  The greenhouse opens in town on Monday.  It is later this year, because of the colder temps.  I know there are people who have planted potatoes and onions, but they haven't hardly come up.  I think things are about to change tho.... I am so ready.  The garden is not.  I need to get it tilled up this week.  I did pick up a few seeds, but we need to get potatoes and onion sets.


The gold finches are back.  There is only one in this photo.  Every time I want to take a picture they all leave.  This is a brave one or an extra hungry one.  I don't really have a camera that takes nice close up shots.  I have been stalking ducks for 3 weeks, but I'm never close enough.   We enjoy looking out the patio window at  these bright colored little guys.  They fight and carry on so with each other.  

This little barn swallow is a window peeker. When DH mowed, he just happened to stick this pot holder in the ground close to the window by my computer.   The barn swallows have been busy trying to make nests under our roof.  They have the whole barn, but they like our roof best.  They do eat flies, but it can be messy under their homes.

I finished my mini quilt for the swap.  I fought with my sewing machine through part of it.  I'm not sure what was wrong.  I re-threaded everything and then finally changed the needle.  Those adjustments seemed to help.  I held my breath through the whole binding process.  I didn't really have more material if I screwed up. 

I learned alot from this swap.  I won't sign up this time of year again.  I was really nervous making something for another quilter.  I think I put down that I was an intermediate quilter, but maybe I should have been a beginner.  I have never put tabs on a wall hanging, so this was my first.  I think it went pretty well.  I hope to get it in the mail on Tuesday.  I'll probably wait to show you the quilt later.  I have been checking the flickr group.  There have been some very nice ones posted.  I hope she likes mine.  Hugs..................

6 comments:

  1. What wonderful pictures you have shown. South Dakota must be a beautiful place to live.

    Willow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, I'm sure whomever receives your quilt will love it.... after all, you put your time, effort, and love into making it; that in itself makes it special! :o)

    We have lots of goldfinches here in Ohio, and when I go out to my sister-in-laws farm I get to see the barn swallows. That little fellow peeking in your window is so cute!

    Have a great day!

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it will be too long now until things can be planted. I am starting to think about what I want to put into my containers. I just have hanging baskets and planters for gardening anymore, but they are still pretty. I miss having lots of flowers, but must confess I miss it less each year. Quilting and gardening just seem to go together! Love the photos of your pretty little birds! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've gotten a few goldfinches in our back yard in the last week or so. I love seeing them come back. Thanks for the photos of your yard, and the wide-open-spaces photos with the cattle off in the distance, the barbed wire nearby, and the gorgeous skies.

    I'm sure the recipient will love getting your quilt. I understand your apprehension, though. I got involved in a round robin at our guild last year, and I fretted and worried and stewed each month when I got someone else's quilt and I had to add something to it. My husband didn't understand the idea. "Why would you ladies let someone else make a quilt for you? I don't get it." But each of us got a lovely quilt at the end, and we all had big smiles. It went well, I'm glad I participated, but I'll never do it again. It was too stressful. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your birds. Your quilt will be treasured by whoever receives it, I am sure. It was good to learn something new too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure your Mini swap quilt will be lovely. I have never done tabs either so I did a small sleeve at the back instead.

    ReplyDelete