Sunday, May 23, 2010

Tornado





We had tornado warnings last night until 1:00 AM.   There wasn't any programs on TV only the weather men until after 11:00 pm.  This is looking west of our house.  The storms came from that direction.



This is called a wall cloud.  The tornado snakes down from them or the whole wall can come down.





This shot is looking south of our house.  You can see tails on this one traveling by.  The clouds are moving fast and changing all the time.



This shot is looking northwest.   The neighbor boys called us at 9:30 pm.  A tornado had touched down and traveled through their place.  It took the garage and shop, but left the connecting breezeway and their house.  The large barn was totally gone.  A lot of their farm equipment is damaged too.  There is much cleaning up to do.  DH quickly loaded up the Rhino and headed north to their place.  Their cows were out and running all over.  Their parents had gone to a birthday party 45 miles away.  There were other tornados further north of us.  Many farm places were damaged and electricity was out in many places.  Mother Nature can make changes quickly in our lives.  I am so very thankful that no one was injured. 

15 comments:

  1. Praises that the storm didn't damage your property and that no one was injured! Prayers for the farmers who lost buildings--and the destruction of their crops! Prayers for you and your DH as you minister to your neighbors! Sometimes city people don't understand the bond that farmers have with their neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating photos, and I'm glad that Mother Nature bypassed you and your family and your property. Spring and summer skies can certainly raise the pulse a bit, now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracious! How nerve-wracking for you all. Your photos are amazing for someone who has never experienced the like, but for your sake I would rather you hadn't had that to contend with. I'm glad you guys were ok and the neighbours were unhurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not liking storms!!!!! I have been close to two tornadoes in my life -one I saw come down from a wall cloud east of the little town we lived in when I was 13. Then in 1966 one went through Topeka, Kansas, when we lived there. It did so much damage and we were so fortunate that it bypassed our neighborhood by a few blocks. Nature certainly change everything in a matter of minutes. Your pictures are awesome - and it sounds as if you all take care of one another in time of need. Bless your hearts! Hope the weather is much better and the storms stay away. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be terrifying to look out your window and see those dark clouds. I am so pleased nobody was hurt and lost their homes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing shots! I am glad you are all okay!
    Pretty scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pleased no one was injured and sorry your neighbors lost their sheds and barns but goodness their home os okay.

    Great photos of the frightening storm clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad that no one was hurt, tornadoes can cause so much damage. At least when a hurricane is coming we have enough warning to get ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad that you and you loves ones are safe. Amazing pics and so different than where I live, America is so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pictures of those clouds are awesome. I've been in a lot of tornadoes, when I lived in both Kansas and Oklahoma, and they are very scary. Praise the Lord that no one was hurt, though I'm sorry to hear that your neighbors' sustained damage to their property. Hope things turn out okay for them!

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Janet, gosh there is a lot of difference in this posting to the previous Sunday posting. Glad everyone is safe.
    Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you're OK. Amazing pictures. Also glad your neighbors are OK in spite of losing property.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So good that you and your family was safe and also for your neighbors. The pictures are really something. I have never seen anything like that before.

    Willow

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Janet, I am so sorry about the buildings that your neighbors lost, but so thankful no one was hurt. Glad you didn't have any damage. You got some great shots. Winona

    ReplyDelete