Friday, May 7, 2010

Snow in May

The huge "goose feather" flakes started this morning about 7:30 am.  Snow in May isn't really that unusual in SD, but it is a pain when it comes.  I know I'm whining again.  I just want sunshine for my baby calves.




It snowed for about an hour and then turned to rain.  It had warmed up to 35, but with the wind gusting to 44 miles an hour it felt much colder.  I checked the rain gauge at noon and we had gotten .60.   The grass and trees are really greening up.  The rain is great for that!  I just want 65 or 70 degree warmth with the rain.  I'm not fussy or anything!

DD1 came home Tuesday night after her last test.  She is done with this school year.   She has one more year of nursing school and will graduate next May.  DD1 has a degree in Health and Wellness.  She moved to FL and managed a fitness center for 5 years.  When the economy started affecting her job, she decided it was time to return to school.  It's nice to have her closer to home ( only 75 miles away). She will work at the Golden Living Center full time this summer.  Hopefully, she can come home more often for visits.   It has been challenging for her to have any time off working and going to school.  She will make a wonderful, caring nurse.  We love having her home.  She plans on coming back for Mother's Day. 

Only 3 more weeks and DD2 will be home for our nephew's wedding Memorial week-end.  We haven't seen her since Christmas, so we are all more than ready for another visit.  She bought her house in Pensacola 3 years ago.  It is a nice little 3 bedroom home.   We haven't been to P'cola for 2 years now.  It's hard to get someone to watch the ranch while we are gone.

I finished my "love" block for the Gifts of Grace BOM.  The pattern called for yellow hearts too, but I opted for different pinks.  I like it!



I missed our church's Ladies Night Salad Supper tonight.  It started out years ago as a Mother/Daughter night in our small church.  It has progressed to a larger all community involvement.  We invite all the women of the community and have a potluck salad supper in the town auditorium.  The theme this year is "God is Love".  BFF Peg called me this morning to see if I was coming in to town.  Part way through the conversation, DH beeped in---the north cows were coming out the gate he left open.  We were running a little later with chores, because we were waiting for the rain to let up.  These girls didn't appreciate having a later breakfast.  They returned easily to where they belonged with some "encouragement".  With the wet weather and extra work, I just couldn't get away tonight and leave DH to do it all alone.


Everyone is dried off and out of the wind.  Looks like we might have some sunshine tomorrow and then rain the next 3 days.   We will regroup tomorrow.   Hugs............. 

5 comments:

  1. Oh, more snow! Ugh! We rarely get snow in May here in Ohio, but it has happened! Aren't you just tired of it now? Sure hope you get some sun soon for those cute little babies. I love cows - their eyes are so soulful!

    Hope you have a great weekend with your daughter(s), and have a very Happy Mothers' Day!

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh NO, not more snow and wet weather for you and DH.Sounds like of hard work.Hope you get lots of sunny days soon.
    How nice for you to have your girls home.Especially for Mother's Day.Have a happy one, Janet.
    Love your block in pink too.At least you got a little stitching done even though you missed your outing. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday was a rainy, yukky day in Michigan, too, but I could just stay in and keep track of it from where it was warm. What a great team you and your DH are. Warmer weather will come and stay finally, but May is a fickle month. Glad your girls have been able to get home for visits. Nothing like our families. By the way, the heart block is lovely! Happy Mother's Day, Janet!! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janet,
    It continued snowing during the night in northern Wisconsin. We have about 2-3 inches of snow-I am thankful for the much needed moisture! Have a wonderful Mother's Day with your family. We used to have a Spring Dessert night called, "A Night for Daughters", because all women are a daughters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather is crazy all over the world lately. Have a lovely Mother's Day with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete