Monday, May 17, 2010

New Residents!



Do you have one of those children that always brings home stray animals and friends?  DD1 has always been that child in our family.  DH has never been able to say "no" to either of his daughters, so we have new "critters" on the ranch. 




Some people Michelle knows wanted to get rid of these llamas, so now we have llamas. 
We put them in a small pen by the old barn, until they get used to being here.  We don't know much about these animals, but I guess we'll be learning.  DH's brother has sheep, so he is coming to shear them on Saturday.   I read on the internet that heat stress is a factor for them.  It doesn't look like the oldest one has been sheared for sometime.  Her fleece is really matted and dirty.  She is very standoffish and puts her ears back when we approach--as you can see in this picture.   The other two just seem to be curious about us, especially Rocco.


They have such expressive eyes and they look like they are smiling part of the time.  This one is a female and seems to be the most friendly of the three.  She has such pretty markings.

This one is a male and seems the most agressive.  He comes up to the fence and looks at us.  Rocco wags his little tail and when they approach he turns and runs under the fence.   Some people keep llamas or donkeys with their sheep for protection from coyotes.  I'm very interested in researching about their fleece.  I think it can be spun into yarn.
I'm wondering what our cattle will think of them.  DH plans to keep them with the heifers in the smaller pasture close to home.  You just never know what new adventures can come your way, unless you have had children. 

I finished up my mini quilt this afternoon.  I  hope to get it in the mail tomorrow.  We are taking a beef into the butcher in the morning.  Our freezer is getting low on meat.  Summer is a wonderful time to use the grill and DH can taste the steak already.  I'll keep you posted on the llamas.  Hugs..............

8 comments:

  1. Yes folk keep IIamas her in Aussie to protect the sheep from foxes.Especially when the ewes are lambing.They do need some work, like you said shearing but also their hooves and teeth need attention. Their fleece can be spun. Makes lovely wool. OH and they spit. Have fun with your new children. LOL
    Love your little embrioderied Mini Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so beautiful. My Daughter was one to bring home stray cats and dogs. We never kept them, but found good homes for them. If we had the room we probably would have let her keep them. We had one wonderful dog for 16 years. We still miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, I look forward to learning all about these lovely creatures. Yes, the things we do for our children. (grin) Please keep us up to date with your new additions. Winona

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Your new family members will spit, but they are fun and personable. Looking forward to hearing about your new adventures: Life with Llamas!

    Nothing like a freezer filled with beef to kick off the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard their wool is lovely to work with. You can get into felting wool now! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, how could have missed the larma's
    I haven't a great love of them I'm afraid, as I know they spit :-) But a few months ago we came across a field of them in Wiltshire in England. We were on a detour :-)
    I think you would love the wool. I WOULD LOVE THE WOOL. As they really needed a home, spit or not spit I would have given them one too :-)
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love to read about your ranch and your animals! Now you have llamas - how very cool. The only things I have in my yard here at my little condo are some squirrels and some cheeky little creatures that squeak and run so fast. Since there is a woods right near us, we do have some deer come in and munch on any flowers they might like and we did have some visits from skunks. But your animals are much more fun!! My neighbor across the street does have a robin raising her babies in the wreath by her front door so she is going in and out now through the patio door. :-) Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so interesting. Llamas! Please continue posting information and photos. I love learning new things. I live suburbia, but love reading about ranch life. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete